Thursday, July 7, 2011

A letter to my 16-year-old self

Dear Me@16,
This mail shall reach you in the worst of your lostness and stupidity. But it’s alright coz you won’t be THIS young EVER again. And one day, nine years down the line, you’ll wake up and see yourself writing a blog piece on how things could have been different. At that moment, you’ll be running short of words while being busy looking for better excuses.

I understand you’re not sure what you want to do with your life. No one is. You are not the first human to be blessed with such indecisiveness. All around you are confused but they just pretend as if they know your roadmap. All you have to do is make a choice and stick to it. As of now, you must be wondering whether to opt for Electronics or Arts. Trust me, go for Arts. You are way too dull for engineering math and way too good to have a *secured* future. It’s better to be an unsuccessful writer than a terrible engineer. No kidding.

Pay attention to what I’m saying as I reckon you don’t listen to anyone. After all, I know you better than anyone else. Most importantly, live. Being scared is not a neutral trait. Stop being shy, you dumbfcuk! Go talk to that girl you liked in school. Trust me, it’s worth a try. Spend more time with grandma. She’ll be gone very soon. Take good care of your health. Swim. Run. Cycle. Play football. Do everything that you love but won’t get you killed before you turn 35. Stay in touch with those few dear school friends whom you’re not going to meet on a daily basis anymore. Send a common Thank You Letter to all school teachers and mention what they mean to you. You are not as bad a poet as you think. Of course, you could be worse than that but don’t you dare give up. Keep scribbling. Learn to play guitar. But don’t sing. Some voices are better left unsung.

Enough of lame advices! Moreover, there’s no point in talking sense into you anyway.

No matter how much I try, nothing will change. You’ll commit the same mistakes I did. You’ll learn the same lessons I learned. You’ll ultimately become Me@25. It’ll be a fun ride, though at points you’ll feel otherwise. And then one fine morning, you’ll write what you’re reading right now and feel good about having an active memory. Like they say, it’s all written…. in destiny or on internet.

Yours very own,
Me@25

N.B. The idea for the above piece came from this post where I left below my more-than-necessary-but-honest comment.

9 comments:

Angel said...

Writer, seems your bored being a bachelor , try new things in life like marrying your princess , there and then everything will change..let us see if you will find it heaven or hell ! joke! Be happy !
As always you got my not so precious time..

p.s, invite me if you do.

Shakti_Shetty said...

Angel, I'd love to do that but the princess is still crazy for frogs! :D

Will surely keep you in loop if a tragedy as such occurs! :)

My notebook said...

What a beautiful post ....wowsome ..loved it so much ..well being a student of Arts I am so happy that you mentioned this subject ..agree with all the things you have written in this post.." sure your princess is somewhere waiting for you" :)) once again awesome :))

Shakti_Shetty said...

Thanks Rini for your time and support and words. :)

bugs blogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

loved your post ...

Shakti_Shetty said...

Thanks!!

Punkster said...

I saw shades of me here.
Surely writing something similar now. Don't sue me. :P

Cheers!

Scribbles! said...

Loved ur post...so I wrote one too here's my link...
www.lyrehc-erawan.blogspot.com/2011/09/letter-to-myself-at-16.html