Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Missing poems and dismissed planet


In August 2006, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) downgraded the status of Pluto to that of "dwarf planet". This meant that only the rocky worlds of the inner Solar System and the gas giants of the outer system will be designated as planets. In simpler words, the smallest planet in our solar system wasn't a planet anymore. Personally, i liked Pluto for two reasons: it reminded me of my favourite Disney character (can you find anything cuter than Pluto?) and i always feel for the underdogs (can you find anything cuter than Pluto?). To commemorate this gross injustice, i got the number 134340 tattoed on my forearm. Contrary to the belief that it's the roll no. of the prisoner i lost my anal virginity to, Pluto was designated this particular number after the demotion by the scientists. It wasn't to be called Pluto anymore. The poor thing! Imagine the kind of rejection it must have felt.
****
I recently met Kartik, an old friend from Pune after a gap of five years. On noticing my tattoo, he told me that even Gulzarsaab wasn't very happy with the maltreatment meted out to this tiny celestial body either. True to his style, he decided to write a series of poems solely dedicated to Pluto. Insofar, what wrong has the tiny, non-whiny planet done to the scientists? Anyway, the book was published in March. Had i been part of the film circuit the way i was earlier, i'd have known about it but like a true fan, i didn't have a clue about this eponymous anthology. However, Kartik not insisted but also sent me a copy to my office. Let's just say that my day has been made. Even the fact that scientists don't know how Pluto really looks like (although that didn't stop them from kicking the boy out of the group) can't rattle me today. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

Madhushree said...

On an unrelated note, 'ಉಪ್ಪಿಗಿಂತ ರುಚಿ ಇಲ್ಲ, ತಾಯಿಗಿಂತ ಬಂಧುವಿಲ್ಲ' it is.

ಬಂಧು=Relative, ಬಂದು/ಬಾ= Come.

PS: I'm a regular reader of your blog (silent reader and secret admirer :P ). I damn you for being so awesome! Keep blogging :)

Madhushree said...

On an unrelated note, 'ಉಪ್ಪಿಗಿಂತ ರುಚಿ ಇಲ್ಲ, ತಾಯಿಗಿಂತ ಬಂಧುವಿಲ್ಲ' it is.

ಬಂಧು=Relative, ಬಂದು/ಬಾ= Come.

PS: I'm a regular reader of your blog (silent reader and secret admirer :P ). I damn you for being so awesome! Keep blogging :)